The Social Action Ministry Team is a group of volunteers that participates year-round on behalf of MLC to facilitate, foster, and maximize the collective efforts of our congregation to serve others in need.
They would love for you to join them on one or a number of different projects. Here is a sample of some of their many activities:
- Coordinate the preparation & delivery of a monthly dinner and breakfast for the homeless at Mill Street Center, Marin’s only year-round emergency shelter for adults
- Participate in the annual CROP Hunger Walk, a community wide event sponsored by Church World Service to raise funds to end hunger at home and around the world
- Renovate rooms and outdoor spaces at the Brown House for families at the emergency shelter operated by Homeward Bound
- Provide back-packs filled with school supplies for children of low-income families served by Ritter Center
- Sponsor the Breakfast Burrito Bake to make 100+ burritos for the residents of the Homeward Bound Family Center and Voyager Carmel Center
- Organize the “Angel Tree” at Christmas for families in need
- Conduct food drives multiple times a year for the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank & Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary students
- Support the involvement of MLC with the Marin Organizing Committee (MOC) which works for the common good on numerous projects such as advocacy for just-cause housing ordinances and a permanent shelter for the homeless coupled with necessary services
- Respond in special areas of need as they arise
If you are interested in helping with any of the activities listed above or would like to learn more about the work of this wonderful ministry team, please contact Jim Bedilion, Pastor Tom or the church office.
Each year MLC allocates funds (derived from members’ giving) to organizations engaged in social action. Our Social Action Ministry Team is responsible for making thoughtful decisions about the allocation of these funds to both local & global organizations.
Partial List of Organizations We Support
ELCA Disaster Relief
Lutheran World Relief
Rwanda School Project
Ritter Center, San Rafael
Santa Rosa Fire victims
Marin Community Clinics
Canal Alliance, San Rafael
San Francisco Night Ministry
Lutheran Social Services of Northern California